Sepele, Nigeria: “Enraged Youths” Attack Muslims; Injure 50+
No, you didn’t read that headline wrong.
Considering that Nigerian Muzzies killed at least 17 Christians last night during a gathering for 5 fellow Christians also killed by the Muzzies, and the annual Christmas bombings in Nigeria alone have killed over 65 Christians these past two Christmases, I have mixed emotions about this incident. After all, Christians are called upon to love their neighbors and to turn the other cheek. Along with that, we are further compelled to keep in mind that revenge is not ours to partake in, but God’s.
However, considering that the very lives of Nigerian Christians are in direct peril as long as they refuse to comply with Islamists’ demands that they leave Nigeria or die, it certainly can be argued to an extent that they are merely taking an active role defending themselves. In fact, the Christian Association of Nigeria has declared the Christmas bombings a “declaration of war.”
I don’t know. Like I said, I have mixed emotions about this incident. Maybe I’m not being very “Christlike,” but at what point does one run out of cheeks to turn?:
Over 50 injured as angry youths attack Muslims in Sapele
January 6, 2012 · In News
By Emma Amaize and Godwin Oghre
SAPELE- ENRAGED youths, numbering over 2,000, armed with battleaxes, cutlasses and other dangerous weapons went on rampage, Friday, sacking and inflicting injuries on over 50 Muslims at the Hausa quarters, Sapele in Sapele Local Government Area of Delta State.
A northern security guard was shot dead in a separate incident by a gang of armed robbers that attacked a school in Sapele on Thursday.
Vanguard gathered that the youths were incensed by the uninhibited attacks on churches and killing of Christians in the northern part of the country by the Islamic Boko Haram sect.
Two of the persons suspected to have carried out the onslaught were, however, arrested by the police in Sapele.
There was pandemonium following the attack on Muslims, who were ordered to vacate the town in their own interest since Boko Haram members had also issued ultimatum to Christians to leave the north.
Secretary of a Muslim Media group in Sapele, Sadiq Oniyesaneyene Musa who spoke to Vanguard on the attacks by Sapele youths said, “We are disturbed by this attack on Muslims in Sapele and the order that all Muslims in Sapele should return to the north. I am a Muslim and an Itsekiri from Delta state, where do they want me to go to, this is my homeland”.
Musa said the youths besieged Muslims in the town very close to the mosque that was bombed, last year, and injured a lot of faithful.
“We called the director of the State Security Service, SSS, Asaba and the Area Commander and they responded. The Joint Task Force, JTF, on the Niger-Delta also deployed soldiers to take care of the situation”, he said.Explore posts in the same categories: Africa, Christians, Christians under attack, Religiocide, Religion